Saturday, November 6, 2010

November 6

November 6

Today, as would seem obvious, I'm thankful for my sisters. I, if for no other reason than my experience as a Gamma Phi Beta, truly have come to believe that when one door shuts another door opens. While I enjoyed my collegiate beginning as a SAI, it honestly began to be a place where I wasn't happy. I realize now, it's because the group wasn't on the track it should have been, and I was only happy because the girls I came to know and hang out with were on the right track. When they all graduate and leave, however, it's not near as happy of a place.
Fall of 2008 was also the fall after Australia (or also the Australia Fall as it should really be known), and with a determination to get out of my comfort zone and find myself, I went to the Gamma Phi Beta information night. Even from afar, I connected with Taylor, and after watching the movie, I knew Gamma Phi Beta was my home. The week was full of stress and fun, as I watched new girls and friends go through the same process as I did. I will never forget the pure excitement as I opened my bid card and the looks on Lexi and Allie's faces as they gave me a hug and welcomed me to the sisterhood.
It was a long, and enjoyable, year and half. I became good friends with many of my sisters, and have even been in one wedding in the short time. While I was in Springfield, I never thought it would change. Not knowing where you're headed after college, gives you the ability to pretend it's never going to change. Being transplanted has it's ups and downs, and in my case it's nice to be able to come back and visit and pretend like nothing's changed. This weekend has been filled with GPhi Pancakes, a ritual reminder of what I am a part of, a winery and food with some of my favorites, and a soccer game with the girls. And that was just Friday/Saturday! It's sad that my visit will be coming to a close tomorrow, but I am so thankful that my sisters are there for me and welcomed me back with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment